Best Books of 2017



Well, it's been a long time since I did a best books of the year post. That's because in 2016 I didn't think that the any of the new releases that I had read deserved the honour. And perhaps that in itself led the choice I made in 2017 to become a more independent reader, one who didn't pay attention to market trends, or who bought and read a book just because it was being talked about. And you know what? It paid off. In 2017 I encountered many wonderful new books and authors.

If I have to pick a favourite, then The Upside of Unrequited by Becky Albertalli most certainly deserves the honour. This is a great YA novel about diversity.

Other books I loved this year include:

Quicksand by Malin Person Giolito

The Roanoke Girls by Amy Engel

The Many Ways of Seeing by Nick Gleeson

A Talent for Murder by Andrew Wilson

Tilly and the Time Machine by Adrien Edmonson

The History of Bees by Maja Lunde

Also this year, I discovered or rediscovered some great modern classics, including The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood, Maus by Art Spiegelman and The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time by Mark Haddon. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peppermint Patty: I Cried and Cried and Cried

Phrases and Idioms: Tickets on Himself

Who Else Writes Like V.C. Andrews?