Friday Funnies: Agro

 


This clip is from 1994 and I can actually remember when it happened. Agro's Cartoon Connection was staple viewing in my household, usually because it showed most of the old Hanna Barbera cartoons like Yogi Bear, The Smurfs and The Huckleberry Hound Show. Made in Brisbane, the show was hosted by good natured Ann-Marie and Agro, an agsty puppet with a penchant for pushing the boundaries of one, good taste and two, what was permissible to air on a children's show. Unsurprisingly, it was a ratings hit.

There are a lot of outtakes--real and things that never made it to air, available on YouTube that showcase just how far Argo could push the boundaries. As a child, I thought it was all hilarious, though as an adult I can see just how much of it probably went straight over my head. As an adult, I find the humour kind of funny, kind of not. There's nothing sophisticated about it. 

Agro was voiced and operated by comedian Jamie Dunn. According to wikipedia, much of his antics were vetted before they went to air, though he would appear uncensored on adult programmes. His most recent appearances have been in commercials for Uber Eats alongside Bondi Vet Dr Chris Brown. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peppermint Patty: I Cried and Cried and Cried

Who Else Writes Like V.C. Andrews?

Phrases and Idioms: Tickets on Himself