Review: Slayer by Kiersten White

Set in the world of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and picking up where the comic book series left off, Slayer tells the story of Nina, a sixteen year old student at the Watcher's Academy, one who has never truly embraced the life of a Watcher, and who is considered inferior in almost every possible way to her twin sister Artemis. She does not get along well with her mother, a powerful member of council who also seems to believe that she's inferior. 

Then it turns out that Nina is the newest Chosen One, and it seems, she will be the last slayer ever. And, naturally, it doesn't take long for various forces of darkness to start showing up and for there to be an adult or two with their own agenda.

I enjoyed Buffy and I have enjoyed some of the other novels of Kiersten White, so I am disappointed to report that I did not enjoy this one. It plays very young for a YA novel (the protagonist may just as well have been about thirteen,) and parts of the novel came across as a little ... cold. Then again, I am also a bit outside of the target audience and this may have a thing or two to do with my grumbles. Still, if you're suffering Buffy withdrawal while we all wait to see whether or not the reboot will happen, this book may just appeal to you.

Thank you to Simon and Schuster Australia for my reading copy. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peppermint Patty: I Cried and Cried and Cried

Phrases and Idioms: Tickets on Himself

Who Else Writes Like V.C. Andrews?