Wednesday, 18 June 2014

Writers on Wednesday: Geena Leigh

Welcome to Writers on Wednesday once again. This week, I am putting my questions to Geena Leigh, author of the compelling and insightful memoir, Call Me Sasha ...




Tell us a bit about yourself …



Well, my memoir Call Me Sasha is all about me. What I've seen is that different parts resonate more with different readers. People who have had a challenging upbringing feel comfort that I turned it all around and it gives them hope, and, people who have had a normal or privileged upbringing have said things like; "I'm going to ring my parents right now and thank them for what they did for me and the opportunities they gave me". 

Tell us about your most recently published, or about to be published, book?



Call Me Sasha was published by Allen & Unwin January 2014. It's about resilience, triumph over adversity, freedom and also a love story.

Tell us about the first time you were published?



I've found the entire 'writing a book and having it published' process absolutely thrilling. And I just want to do it again and again.

As writer, what has been your proudest achievement so far?



I wrote Call Me Sasha with the intention of helping young women make better life decisions than I did and also to show others that no matter what happens in life, you can turn it around and be happy. 
When I receive messages from readers expressing how the book helped them or moved them or even simply entertained them - that makes me feel like I'm on purpose, which is wonderful. 

What books or writing projects are you currently working on, if anything?



I am writing a fiction novel (inspired by true events) based around three young women working in a high-class brothel. It is a quest for their freedom interlaced with conflict, love, betrayal, revenge along the way...

Do you have a favourite place to write?



Once I start writing, I get swept up in it all so the location is essentially irrelevant however, I like being at 'puppy level'; either on the couch or bed (there is a ramp on the bed so they can come and go as they please) so I can feel our two puppies snuggling against my leg. I bought a fancy chair for my desk however all three of us don't fit on it, so the chair remains unused.

Which do you prefer? eBooks or Paper Books? Why?



I love paper books! I love seeing a book, touching it and I'm also slightly tech challenged and have no idea how to download an eBook. 

Aside from your own books, of course, what is one book that you feel everybody should read?



I think that people are drawn to different books at specific times and for different reasons - so whatever they have an inclination to read is right for them.

Call Me Sasha is available in most book stores, as an eBook and audio book.