Wednesday, 6 November 2013

Writers on Wednesday: Aprille Legacy

Welcome to my very awesome new feature, Writers on Wednesday, where I aim to talk to a variety of writers about their work. Kicking off the feature is the brilliant and very awesome Aprille Legacy ...



Tell us a bit about yourself …

My name is Renee Dutton, but I write under the pseudonym Aprille Legacy. I’m 21 years old, from Victor Harbor on the South Coast. I moved to the city 18 months ago to pursue writing.

Tell us about your most recently published book?

Soul Fire is my debut novel, released in June of this year. It’s a YA fantasy romance, the first in a trilogy, which follows the antics of my heroine, Rose Evermore.

Tell us about the first time you were published?

Stepping into the world of professional writing was terrifying. Suddenly I had responsibilities and self-imposed deadlines (the worst kind!). As a relatively shy person, I found it hard to speak in front of a group about my book and on the day of my first signing, my friends had to peel me from the couch. I’d like to think that I’ve progressed in my self confidence since then!

As writer, what has been your proudest achievement so far?

I think my proudest achievement would have to be finishing the first draft of Soul Fire. I finished it in little under a month, averaging a word count of roughly 7000 a day.

What books or writing projects are you currently working on, if anything?

Currently I’m working on the sequel to Soul Fire (Soul Blaze, due out in March 2014) and my Victorian Steampunk, Ruthless, which comes out on December 10 of this year.

Do you have a favourite place to write?

I like to be somewhere I can see outside. I also love to have incense burning whilst I write. Helps create an inspiring atmosphere.

Which do you prefer? eBooks or Paper Books? Why?

Definitely paper books. I love the feel of having them in my hands and seeing my bookcase overflowing with novels. A virtual bookshelf just doesn’t do that for me. I love collecting series and box sets.

Indie Publishing, or Traditional Publishing?

Indie, as I prefer to see what the author intended rather than what the publisher thought would sell.

Aside from your own books, of course, what is one book that you feel everybody should read?

Heiress of Healing, by Sonya Lano. Awesome fantasy and some of the best explanation of magic and spells I’ve ever read, plus strong heroines who genuinely kick butt.

Finally … is there anything you would like to say to your readers in Adelaide, Australia?


Thank you so much to anyone and everyone who has supported me through this process. You make all of the hard work so worth it.


2 comments:

  1. 7000 words a... day?
    I barely write that many a month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. 7000 words a day is an impressive effort ... You'll just have to set your mind to it, Andrew!

      Delete